Tax Savings – “Savers Credit” Could Cut Your Tax Bill

by | Aug 15, 2011 | Tax Savings Strategies

Are you looking for ways to save $1,000 off your income tax bill?
If married, would your spouse be interested in the tax savings of up to $2,000 on a joint return?

In order to achieve this kind of tax savings you must contribute to a retirement plan and you might qualify for a tax credit called the “retirement savings contributions credit”. 

Unlike a tax deduction, a tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction of the taxes you owe.  How do you qualify for this credit?
By making a contribution to a retirement plan, you could be eligible for the saver’s credit.  This includes contributions to both Roth and traditional IRAs, as well as, salary deferrals
into SEP, SIMPLE, 401(k), 403(b), and 457 plans.

How much is the credit? The credit ranges from 10% to 50% of the first $2,000 contributed to a retirement plan.  In other words, the maximum credit is $1,000 for an individual. If you and your spouse both contribute at least $2,000 to your retirement accounts, you could qualify for up to a $2,000 credit on a joint return.

Are there limitations? Like many tax breaks, this credit decreases or phases out entirely once your income reaches certain levels.  The credit is not available if 2011 income exceeds $28,250 for individuals, $42,375 for heads of household, and $56,500 for married couples filing a joint return. In addition, you cannot take the credit if you are under age 18, a full-time student, or someone else’s dependent. 

Here’s an example. Say you put $3,000 into an IRA and you qualify for the maximum $1,000 saver’s credit. You can deduct your $3,000 contribution for a tax savings of $450 ($3,000 x 15% tax rate).  Add this $450 tax savings to the $1,000 saver’s credit, and your total tax savings equals $1,450.

For more information about the saver’s credit or about retirement accounts, contact us at (970) 482-6947 or

Blog Categories
Explore Topics